Wednesday 31 July 2013

Buyer-less Craft Fair and Makes for Me

Last weekend I had a stall at a craft fair in a new location for me. It was a bit of distance from me but I have a friend who lives there so I thought I’d give it a go. Unfortunately it was not successful at all! It was very well advertised and there were lots of lovely stalls there, the two ladies who organised it were great but there were just no buyers- not what you want for a craft fair! I think in total about 30 people came in over the four hours the fair was on. It was a long four hours. To make matters worse I brought some crochet to finish off, a special commission from my dad, and I didn’t realise the hook had fallen out. I found it when I returned home, sat on the coffee table- like I said it was a long four hours.
It happens like that sometimes though. It was a sunny day and the first day of the school holidays and no one was about, hopefully next time will be better. I met some lovely people so not all wasted. The next one is on the 12th of October, fingers crossed it will be better?!

To cheer myself up I made some things for myself for a change! Both of which were nice and simple.

I made six rings, five by gluing some of favourite buttons to ring findings using E6000 and one ceramic ring which was simple stoneware clay stamped with the “LOVE” before firing and then clear glazed.

I painted my nails to match my favourite one. You can’t tell in the photo but the facets of the button twinkle as it catches the light when I move my hand

My other make was reusable “cotton pads”. I used a very soft 100% acrylic yarn as I couldn't find a chunky cotton on the wool stall at my local market. The label suggested a 6mm needle/hook. I crocheted each pad using double thickness of yarn and a 4mm hook so the stitches would be nice and tight. The resulting texture helps remove the make-up and grime very nicely using my usual cleanser- trust me you don’t want to see the pictures of that, I appall myself ;-) I just throw them in with the washing and then once clean they can be reused!


Next time will be a tutorial for a crochet beaded necklace, until then craft in earnest! Craftin’ Ernest x

No comments:

Post a Comment