Wednesday 25 February 2015

Molly Weasley Inspired Blanket

As I've mentioned before I'm a big fan of the Harry Potter books and films, what's not to love about them?
In the films I particularly like Ron's mother, Molly Weasley; she's big into her knitting/crochet and is a real fan of multicolour, as this photo taken from MuggleNet shows.

I'm rather jealous of her magical ability to get her needles to knit all by themselves, just another perk of being a witch I guess?!?
With Molly in mind I thought I would start a colourful project that I can pick up when I have a free moment & put down for extended periods without bother.
I decided upon a higgledy-piggledy blanket where I would just wing it with a freestyle mix of knitting & crochet!
After a couple of hours this was the result....
I really didn't worry too  much about structure and just made it up as I went along! I've used a mix of yarn types and various sizes of hooks and needles and just went with the flow.

The first section was the green and pink, crocheted in the round section and I just went on from there.
At the moment my favourite section is the mottled, green bit, crocheted with a mohair mix with a 5mm needle using treble crochets around the post front and back depending on the row. I always like the pinks and purples, moss stitch section.
I have mainly attached the pieces as I went, catching the previously yarn end and the starting end in as I went. For a few pieces I made it separately and attached it afterwards using the end and a yarn needle purely because I knitted/crocheted it on the go and didn't want to carry the rest around with me.
Where I attached a knitted section, I used a crochet hook the same size as the knitting needles to pick up stitches through the previous section before transferring the stitches to the needles, I just find this easier but you could use a knitting needle directly.
I have already wavered between liking it and then not being so keen but I plan to add to it over the next year or two and will give updates on it's progress. 

Until next time, craft in earnest! Craftin' Ernest x

3 comments:

  1. How cool is that, a Molly Weasley blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks very much Josie!
      I've made more progress in the last couple of days, it's a little addictive ;-)

      Delete
  2. Did you ever finish the blanket?

    ReplyDelete