Tuesday 7 April 2015

Storage Solution- Upcycled Box

Something my husband and I disagree upon quite regularly is how much stuff in the house is too much stuff? 
He strongly believes we passed the acceptable mark a long time ago and I've told him this is one of the downfalls of living with a "crafter"- to me there is no such thing as too much! 
OK I wouldn't like to end up on one of those reality TV shows where the council is sent in because you haven't thrown anything away for 20 years and can't move for old newspapers and dirty dishes with new lifeforms growing on them. 
But too much wool- not possible, overload of fabric- I don't think so, button boxes bursting at the seams- my idea of Heaven!
You just know the day you get rid of something is the day you find that's exactly what you need, that's a real frustration I do my best to avoid.

I will concede that this does make storage a bit of an issue and as such I do have a lot boxes, baskets, tins, pots, etc. 
I enjoy filling them with bits and bobs, forgetting where everything is and then rooting through them all making lots of discoveries, getting distracted and going off on a complete tangent.

I have boxes of all shapes and sizes, many of which people have kindly donated to me.
If I get a chance to decorate them before I fill them to the brim (this is rarely the case) so much the better.
My sister recently gave a box she had received as a gift from a friend at Christmas full of lovely Body Shop goodies.

It was a nice sturdy box just right for a make over, so using some gorgeously ornate, eco-friendly wrapping paper from Wild & Wolf Ltd along with some Sugru, mouldable silicone glue, I transformed it into a vintage-style suitcase.

I cut one of the edges of the lid into a flap before covering the outside with the wrapping paper. I moulded the Sugru over the corners and used it to make attachments for the handle.
Once the Sugru parts had cured I painted them with gold coloured enamel paint. I made the handle using leather (also painted gold) and I attached it with wire rectangles made from hair pins. I added some decorative trim and flat metal beads as fake closures and the job was done.



Of course, now I have to find it a permanent home without upsetting the hubby....
I'd love to know what you think of the finished case and whether you believe there is such a thing as too much crafting stuff (although I'm going to stick with no)?

Until next time craft in earnest, Craftin' Ernest x

No comments:

Post a Comment