Monday 4 May 2015

Jam-Packed May Day Weekend

Who doesn't love a long weekend? I most certainly do and although the weather hasn't been the greatest, I've had a fantastic couple of days!
On Saturday my mum and I headed to Bristol on the bus for a day full of shopping and craft.
We went nice and early and had a quick wander round the shops before heading to Outlaw Craft Fair in The Passenger Shed, part of Bristol Temple Meads Railway Station.
We got to the fair just before 11 and had a workshop booked at 14:30 so we had plenty of time to explore. First thing first, we headed straight to the cake! It's important to keep your strength up after all ;-)

There were so many gorgeous stalls, they were packed full of wonderful treasures made by extremely talented crafters and artists, as well as others with goodies to craft with. Regular demonstrations were also taking place and there was a "make and take" theatre but unfortunately we missed out each time on those.
Boy did we shop though. We took money out at a cash machine on our way to the venue in a vain attempt to set a budget but it wasn't long before the card came out! It was all just so irresistible and when you're supporting local sellers, surely it would be rude not to?!?

Here's the majority of my stash! I bought a brooch too but that went straight on my coat and other cards but they went straight in the post.
I made 3 purchases in total from Boodle Boutique-  firstly a card and then a wooden badge. I did have my eye on a bumblebee print but couldn't think where I could put in the house so didn't buy it. Later I decided I would regret my decision when I got home and went back but they had gone! 
However, the super nice Bethan Buss of Boodle told me I could order one online and not pay P&P, great stuff... But she later came and found me at another stall as she had discovered she had another with her. I was delighted, such great service and so lucky as I had been in the workshop and only popped out for a moment- it was obviously meant to be.
Our lunch was delicious as well as nice and healthy, thanks to The Cornish Hen Delicatessen. My mum was very impressed with her homity pie and salad which she enjoyed whilst modeling a pair of silver earrings, she bought them as a retirement present from one of her sisters.
In this photograph she is picking them out, it took a while as everything in the display case was so gorgeous.
Our lampshade making workshop was great fun & we were both pleased with the finished items.
The day just flew by and we were shattered by the time we got home.


Sunday was spent at helping my former boss, Pete, at Tyntesfield House, a Victorian property owned by The National Trust. Each month they have a Food & Craft Market in the former stable area, now the ticket office, cafe and shop with a court yard. 
The market is a lovely mix of stalls ranging from bakers to stain glass window makers to natural remedy producers. 
Pete makes apple juice from a variety of different apples ranging from very sharp (Bramley) to very sweet (Egremont Russet) along with a pear juice made from Concorde pears. He also sells his own cider again made from his very own homegrown cider apples.
On top of the juices and cider is his honey- available both as runny or set, he currently has 3 hives and thinks blackberry blossom and other hedgerow flowers are they're main pollen source rather than the apple blossom in his orchard.
I made him a couple of aprons with his logo on a few of years ago, along with matching name badges. I was wearing the other one and they're still going strong I'm pleased to say.
Despite the very changeable weather we had a good day and Pete was pleased with the sales, even if we got a little wet making them. We also enjoyed some yummy produce from the stalls around us, brownies, tartlets and a scotch egg. Again we had to keep our strength up!
After such a busy Saturday and Sunday, it's lovely to have Monday off work to relax & get a few of the household jobs done (as well as admire my purchases).
Until next time, craft in earnest!
Craftin' Ernest x

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great day with your mum! It's always great to support local makers, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we really did have a wonderful time.
      With so many fantastic craftspeople under one roof it wasn't hard to spend!

      Delete